Three Tips From a Beverly Hills Roofing Expert
Do you ever give thanks for having a roof over your head? Owning property is one of the best investments you can make. If you live in Beverly Hills, you are residing in one of the most expensive areas of the United States. Therefore, it is extremely important for you to maintain your residence and keep up with all repairs. If you are looking to fix or upgrade your roof in Beverly Hills, read these tips from your local Beverly Hills roofing expert, Busch Design Build, Inc.
Three Tips For Your Beverly Hills Roof
1. Call a Professional – This should go without saying, but, yet, hundreds of people end up in the emergency room every year because of accidents from falling off the roof. If you have a sudden leak or an issue on the roof, don’t try to fix it yourself. It’s one thing to try to fix a leaky faucet on flat ground, and quiet another to repair a hole in the roof while squatting on a slanted surface with tools. Also, you may make the problem worse. So, stay off the roof and call a Beverly Hills roof expert.
When hiring a roofing contractor, ask them for their license, as well as their liability and worker’s compensation insurance. If you want to make sure that if the builder or his helper get accidentally injured on your property, you will not be responsible for it. Also, ask about what kind of products they use, and do your homework. Read reviews of the products, and see if you can substitute with something more affordable, or upgrade to something pricier, but that will last longer.
2. Conduct Bi-Yearly Check Ups – The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) recommends hiring a Beverly Hills roofing contractor to inspect your roof every spring and fall. While you will have to pay for a check-up visit, it will be cheaper to fix small issues before they turn into large problems. This is what the NCRA recommends you ask the roof expert to check for:
- “Shingles that are buckling, curling or blistering; this indicates the end of the shingles’ life expectancy.
- Loose material or wear around chimneys, pipes and other penetrations.
- Excessive amounts of shingle granules in your gutters; granules give shingles added weight and protect them from ultraviolet rays.”
3. Know Your Roof Type – Did you know that different roof types require different types of maintenance? Weatherguard Roofing explains that there are five types of roofs: asphalt, wood, slate, clay and metal. The most common type, asphalt, is one of the most reasonably priced, offers the most selection as far as color, and requires almost no maintenance. Wood shingles are great for the California climate because they provide insulation and keep the heat out. However, the site claims that “wood shingles require a large amount of proper maintenance, including cleaning, sealing, rot inspections, and shingle replacement. This type of roof is also susceptible to mold, mildew, insect burrowing, and rot.” Slate roofs protect against fire and insects, but are the heaviest kind of roofing type. Some structures simply cannot hold the weight of these shingles. Clay tiles are great because they protect against heat, fire, insects, rot, etc. However, they are extremely gentle and tend to break easily. Metal roofs are another great option for Los Angeles weather as they reflect heat; however, they are the priciest option.
Busch Design Build, Inc. is a Malibu based global design firm that has been providing architectural and landscape design services for over twenty years. If you would like to learn more about our roofing expertise, please contact us at your earliest convenience via phone or email. We also offer a wide range of other green services, including: Malibu Green Remodeling, Malibu Chemical Sensitivity Construction, Malibu EcoTech Build, Malibu pH build, and Malibu Eco Construction.
For more information, click here.